Charles Riley Maynard and his brother Tom started manufacturing sweets in 1880 in their kitchen in Stamford Hill, London. Next door, Charles’s wife, Sarah Ann, ran a sweet shop selling their products. In 1896 the brothers formed the Maynards sweet company.
The Vale Road entrance of Maynards’ Harringay factory Ten years later, in 1906, the expanding concern moved a mile or so to a new factory in Vale Road, Harringay. The new factory site, below an embankment of The New River, permitted clean Hertfordshire spring water to be used in production, whilst the proximity of the Lee Navigation and numerous railways facilitated the easy, cheap shipping of the required coal, sugar, and gelatin. London itself provided a ready market of some ten million people, and the world’s largest commercial port was within five miles.
Maynards’ Harringay factory Around the turn of the century, Charles Gordon, heir to the confectionery firm, suggested to his father that they diversify into making “wine gums”, an idea that outraged Charles senior, a strictly teetotal Methodist. Nevertheless, Charles Riley gradually came round to the idea when his son persuaded him that the projected new sweets would not contain alcohol. Maynard’s Wine Gums were introduced in 1909.
The works grew consistently to become a four-figure employer in the Harringay area. As Maynards grew, it expanded its manufacturing operations to other locations. These included a toffee factory in Ouseburn, Newcastle.
In 1990, Maynards merged with the Tottenham liquorice mill Bassetts, and Trebor. In 1998, following the acquisition of the company by Cadbury, the London factory closed and Maynards Wine Gums and associated sweet manufacture was continued at a Sheffield premises that had come on-stream in 1991. By 2002 worldwide sales of Maynards Wine Gums were forty million pounds sterling per annum.
- Includes three 170g bags of Maynards Wine Gums